I took a lot of pictures and I've edited only a quarter of them! Here's the first set from Friday morning. We had breakfast, heard speakers Maggie Mason of Mighty Girl and Derreck Kayongo of the Global Soap Project and got a personalized gift from Bing and Wantist. It was a kick-ass, inspiring morning.
Maggie gave a talk on things she has learned over the years as she has been crossing things off her life list. It was the first time she spoke about it and much of what she said resonated with many of us. Sheri felt like Maggie was talking directly to her, and I'm sure many others did as well, me included. These were her lessons:
- Your Words Determine Your Happiness
- Action is Transformative
- Check Marks Don't Equal Happiness
- Our Opinions of Ourselves are NOT Fact
- Be Rigid Only if You Want to Snap
- My Body is a Compass
- It's About Who You Love and Who Loves You
- You Can Predict the Future
Next up was Derreck Kayongo. I noticed him at breakfast, before I knew who he was, and almost told him how much I loved his "look" but I got shy and didn't say a word. I wish I had.
Derreck is an inspiration. He made us laugh, he made us cry and at the end of his talk he led us in singing an African song about peace. I hugged him afterward, to say thank you, with tears in my eyes. Here were some of his thoughts about how he achieved what he has:
- Pay attention to everything around you and connect the dots. You are here for a reason.
- The most beautiful thing in life is failure. Learn from it. Fail towards success.
- Never underestimate the power of ingenuity.
- Allow critique.
- Don't define yourself by your situation.
- Let your product be a symbol of hope, but make sure people use it!
By noon on Friday I could have gone home and felt like what I had experienced was already enough, but there was more!! I was not even half way through the weekend. If you would like to see a few more pictures, check out my Flickr set. More to come.
For now, I am so thankful that I was able to go again this year, I am so thankful for inspiring, creative and amazing friends and I am so thankful for all the amazing things that people make and do. What an incredible world we live in. Have an excellent Thanksgiving. xo